Emergency Medical Technician
Emergency Medical Technician Technical Diploma
Program Code: 30-531-3
For more information: www.wctc.edu/fire-ems
Emergency medical services providers are the first to respond to emergency calls. In this program, develop the skills and knowledge necessary to assess and manage all types of injuries and acute illnesses, while providing safe and rapid transport to a medical facility. Learn about airway management, bleeding and shock, emergency childbirth and automated defibrillation.
The minimum required course grades and program grade point average (GPA) for students under this catalog are:
Core Courses = C
Program GPA = 2.0
Build your degree along a career pathway. Start with a couple of courses or an entry-level credential to enter the job market in your area of interest, then continue with higher credentials on your educational path for job advancement and higher wages.
This WCTC program prepares students to obtain the required licensure to be employed/practice in the state of Wisconsin. The College does not guarantee its curriculum matches the requirements for preparation, examinations, or licensure for other states.
- Prepare for incident response and EMS operations.
- Integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings for a variety of patient encounters.
- Demonstrate EMT skills associated with established standards for a variety of patient encounters.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrate professional behavior.
- Meet state competency requirements for EMT certification.
Critical Life Skills
To help our students prepare for success in a workplace and society that is increasingly global, multi-cultural, and collaborative, all students are given opportunities to develop and demonstrate Critical Life Skills, both in and out of the classroom. The following Critical Life Skills are learning outcomes for WCTC students.
- Communication: Demonstrate appropriate communication.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Demonstrate critical thinking skills to analyze situations and solve problems.
- Relationships: Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills.
- Self-management: Demonstrate responsible and respectful behavior.
|531-301||Emergency Medical Technician||5|
Approved Substitutes: 531-102 OR (531-301H and 531-301I)
See website at www.wctc.edu/fire-ems for additional program requirements.